This is the first ever furniture project that we took on and it’s the reason we’re now addicted to redoing anything we can! This table was being discarded when people moved out of their apartment so we decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, I don’t have a full picture of the table, but you can see the base above. The top of the table was the same color that you see above, but it had lots of bubbles and damage from water. Actually, we think the damage was from beer because the whole table reeked of it! After we cleaned it up, took it apart, sanded, painted the bottom and stained the top, we had ourselves a beautiful, modern yet rustic table and we both absolutely love it!
The chairs were also the same color as the base you see above and they had red cushions. We painted the chairs, got rid of the cushions and stained the wooden seats and you can see below that they look much more sleek and updated. And they are still very comfortable too without the cushion!
We actually spent months on the this project because at that point we had no idea what we were doing and we used a lot of trial and error. The first thing we did was take the table apart and remove the veneer finish on the table top. Adam spent hours scraping off the top so that we would have a clean wood surface to work with.
Next, we sanded down every surface of the table and chairs by hand. At that point, we didn’t have our beloved orbital sander yet, so we just used sanding blocks and it took us a really long time. Here’s Adam sanding one of the leaves:
After everything was sanded, we decided that we were going to stain the top and paint the bottom. We chose Dark Walnut (by Minwax) for the stain and Swiss Coffee (by Valspar) for the paint.
Painting the base and chairs of the table was really time consuming and difficult due to the detail of the wood and the type of paint that we got. If we did this again today, we both agree that we would use spray paint because it goes on more evenly and it’s a quicker, easier process!
We worked on the table after work at night for the most part and we were so proud when the painting was finally done. I still can’t believe how many coats of paint it took, but it looks awesome!
After it was painted and the top was stained, it was time to put on the polyurethane!
We are so proud of this table and we now use it daily. It looks fantastic in the house and it’s a great reminder every day of the work we put in to create something beautiful! This table inspired the name of our blog and our new hobby–we hope it inspires you too!